Sunday, February 16, 2014

Grandma Mahon's Banana Bread






This is the recipe for my grandmother's banana bread. It's extremely easy to make. My Aunt Gail gave it to me over the phone many years ago. The directions were simple: Preheat oven to 350, mix all, bake in a loaf pan for 55-65 minutes." Obviously, my knowledge of baking requires me to break up that "mix all," so my directions are below, which result in a very yummy & moist banana bread. It is also a good idea to use a stand mixer. I have my mom's KitchenAid® Stand Mixer which has become a staple in my kitchen. Also to note, on this particular day, I doubled the recipe so I could make 2 loaves - I had a ton of ripe bananas. The recipe below is for 1 loaf.




Ingredients

  • 2½ cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3½ tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • ¾ cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup mashed banana

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ.
  2. Spray a 9x5x3 loaf pan with non stick spray.
  3. In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder & salt. Set aside.
  4. Mix wet ingredients in mixer on medium-high: egg, milk & vegetable oil.
  5. Add sugar. Mix well
  6. Gradually add flour mixture. Mix well, until smooth. This should take a few minutes.
  7. Peel babana(s) and mash in a separate bowl. Usually 2½ bananas should yield 1 cup mashed.
  8. Add bananas to bread mixture. Mix well.
  9. Pour mixture into loaf pan.
  10. Bake for 55-65 minutes. Toothpick should come out clean.
  11. Enjoy!


Pictures


Most of the ingredients. The eggs, milk & vegetable oil are already combined with the mixer.


All ingredients are mixed, except the bananas.


Dumped the bananas right in!


Mix! Mix! Mix!


Perfect!


2 loaf pans, ready to go in the oven.


Bake for about 65 minutes.


Half way done. About 26 minutes remaining.


Done! Sorry this one is blurry.


2 loaves baked to perfection.


Close-up of a loaf.


Obligatory Instagram shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment